Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Signs

More and more signs in China include English translations. That's good for me, as I only know the Chinese symbols for entrance (入口) and exit (出口).

But sometimes the translations are a little off the mark. Usually I just chuckle, but once in a while I pull out my camera and take a picture.

You have seen this one that describes the use of the shower valve in my hotel room.


Here's one we saw in front of a bar that, I think, makes an all-you-can-drink offer. Rob thought it was a strip club, which makes sense, as 100 yuan is a lot, even for all the beer you can drink.
Just because it is the name of your store doesn't mean that you have to take care with the translation.

And maybe I should just let you wonder what this sign means. Last night we had dinner at a German restaurant on a land-locked ship, that was adjacent to a driving range. We were supposed to keep an eye out for errant golf balls.

When the waitress noticed the three of us (including two Chinese guys) laughing at the translation, she fixed it by removing the extra C in wactch. All better now!

No comments: